Rocks and Relay

19 April 2009

Sorry I didn't blog yesterday but I promise I have a valid excuse!

My morning began at 6:40am (on a Saturday!!) and ended with Relay for Life.

Geology class had a field trip today to many, many outcrops and we headed away from Memorial Hall at 8am. We headed from Harrisonburg over towards Keezeltown, up to Shenandoah then Luray, and then head back home from Thorton's Gap on Skyline Drive in the Blue Ridge Mountains. It was an absolutely beautiful day.

Many rock outcrops were on the sides of the road (usually the side across from where we parked). We had 'chalk talks' which are named that because in the olden days, teachers/professors would bring a chalkboard along and would explain while making marks on the board. We stopped along a geology trail. That's what I call it anyways because there were tons of signs that only geologists would understand. At the end there was a beautiful overlook that showed Paige County from Massanutten Mountain. We could also see the Blue Ridge across from us.

My favorite part of the day was when we hiked Little Stony Man on Skyline Drive. It was a perfect day for a hike. It wasn't too long of a hike either and at the top there was a nice breeze. Perfect. I need to get out and do more hikes now. I really enjoyed myself.

When I got back to JMU, I had dinner and then went to Relay for Life. There was a wonderful turnout and the Survivor Lap made me miss my mom. I'm so proud of everyone who came out to support the American Cancer Society. I really hope that one day no more people will hear the words "I'm sorry to tell you this, but you have cancer".

Sorry this one is relatively short, but I need to do some sort of studying/homework today. I hope everyone is cheerful and have a wonderful Sunday!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...