Do You Like Yourself? Why?

09 September 2009

Ok, in class yesterday my professor asked me a question (and he only asked me) whether or not I like myself. Of course, I answered (honestly) "yes". What made this difficult was that he then proceeded to ask "why?".

Really, I do like myself and I have reasons for it but I began wondering if I should try and justify myself to say why I like myself or why others should like me. Its hard for me to imagine someone not liking themselves. If you didn't like yourself then wouldn't you change so that you did? It felt big-headed or as if I was exaggerating when things went through my head. I ended up kind of circling around the question instead of just answering straight up. Its one thing to like things about yourself and to talk to close friends about it but to just be asked point blank and to answer in a room full of people? Tough....

For example, I like that I volunteer - but some people may not have the time (will that make them feel guilty? Being able to stick to my morals (such as not drinking or smoking) are things that I'm proud of but I didn't want to seem as if I was judging people who did. Being a member of the political party who offers CHOICE is a big thing to me but its not as if Republicans are bad people... These are some reasons I like myself. These are more things I do or do not do. Is that what the question is even asking?

I could say that I am intelligent (but how much of that do you control?), I'm kind (or try my best to be), I love to laugh, I am connected emotionally, I care about the world, I define myself and don't conform to others, I know what I believe, I am a confident person, I try as best I can to do what I think is right.... Then if I say those things I feel like I'm puffing myself up too much.

Is that normal? I felt like it would be rude but maybe that comes off as underconfident. It was certainly a confusing time trying to figure out what I should or should not say....

Basically it ended up with me saying something about sticking to my beliefs and values and being the person I want to be (so I didn't really go into specifics) but looking back now I wonder if most people - at this age - would say they even do that.....

Just an interesting question for the day.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Very good post and thoughts. I hear you on this! Thought provoking indeed!

(Just walked in from a very long getaway...hoping to catch up soon:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...