Monday Night Meals

03 November 2009

Its Tuesday at lunch time and after getting out to vote I'm back here to put up monday's recipes before paleontology.

The first recipe that Noah and I cooked up was a real quick one that I learned from my sister over the weekend. Take feta cheese, one egg, and green onions (I believe I used four) and mix them together. It should be mostly cheese so just mix in enough feta to where you think you'd like the combination. I call them:


K*'s mini quiches





We bought little phyllo dough shells and dropped the mixture (of egg, feta, and onions) into the shells. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Voilá, perfect mini quiches for any gathering. These are really simple and would be great for parties but just be sure to make enough. My sweetie and I ended up finishing these off while we were preparing the rest of the dinner.



Natalie's Salsa Dip


Much earlier in the semester I attended a geology department picnic at the University farm. Students were encouraged to bring food and my lovely TA Natalie brought a delicious dip that was a huge success! I asked her for the recipe later on and this is what she gave me:


16 oz can black beans
guacamole (today i used guac flavored dip b/c food lion sucks)
sour cream
2 tomatoes - diced
shredded cheese
jalepenos - chopped and sliced
salsa

so first i put the beans in a pot with a little bit of chopped jalepenos and some salsa. i kinda smushed the beans while they were cooking so some were still whole while others had a more refried bean like texture. once that simmers for a few minutes and cools spread it on the bottom of any kind of dish. i normally use an 8x8 baking dish, but kim used if for brownies so i used that bread thing. then layer the guacamole over the beans, then sour cream, then tomatoes, then cheese. then you can add sliced jalepenos on top for a garnish or use cilantro if you dont like it spicy. obviously this recipe can be fooled around with so you guys can substitute in whatever you like or add or subtract to whats already there. have fun!


You may not know this about me, but I like step by step, explicit directions. This was a bit too vague for me but I went with what I deemed right and it turned out delicious!

In the picture below you can see the salsa, some jalapeños, and black beans simmering. She didn't say to drain the beans but I think it should be recommended, we waited for a very long time to boil some of that liquid out!

Preparing the Salsa/Bean base




The last steps are quite easy, just spreading the different layers. I didn't wait too long for the beans too cool so it was difficult to spread the guacamole on next, but it worked out just fine.

Finished Product




The last thing I have to say about this recipe? It makes a bunch! I'll probably bring one of the dishes I filled to the Circle K meeting tonight to share because I have bunches that I won't be able to finish just sitting around the apartment (however much I might want to). Be prepared to share this dish with friends!




Lastly, we made a recipe that I found on allrecipes.com under Vegetarian Main Dishes > Casseroles.

Spicy Mexican Zucchini Casserole


found HERE

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
3 pounds zucchini, cubed
1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
1 cup cooked long-grain rice
1 cup cooked pinto beans
2 1/2 cups salsa
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and onions; cook and stir until tender, about 10 minutes. Season with garlic salt, paprika, oregano and cayenne pepper, and continue cooking and stirring until fragrant. Mix in the rice, beans and salsa and cook just until heated through. Mix in 1 cup of Cheddar cheese until well blended. Transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish and top with remaining Cheddar cheese. Cover the dish with a lid or aluminum foil.
Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

As seems to be usual for our dishes now, there was a fair bit of chopping and dicing involved. This meal selection took a bit longer to make (but in fairness we were making the above dip at the same time - which was relatively easy on its own).

The cooking and chopping definitely took the longest.




Our final product though ended up pretty tasty and we wrapped it up in quesadillas for a mexican meal.

I would suggest a side with it because its a lot of one type of food. We served the salsa and chips with it.

Final Product of the Casserole

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...