Veggie Pot Pie

20 February 2010

This is a vegetarian version of a chicken pot pie. I've always liked chicken pot pies since I was little and this was a great twist on that theme! This dish might be better off in the casserole category actually but I love casseroles all the same.

I'll let you know ahead of time that I "goofed up" on this one a fair bit but it came out delicious anyways. I know, I'm just that good. I already have some changes in mind for the next time I make this (and I will make it again)!



(Sorry, I forgot to take a picture before taking a scoop out. However, this way you can see the inside too. Yummy!)

Here's most of the reason I messed this up: I did not have an ingredients list. If I knew where I found this recipe (vegetarian times? all recipes?) then I could look it up again, but as it is.... I also cannot site this right now. I'll let you know as soon as I can.

For now, I'll tell you the ingredients that I used (see bottom of post for what I would adjust for next time):

1/2 onion
1 head of broccoli
1 (big) potato
2 cloves of garlic
filo dough (two sheets from Pepperidge Farms)
water and flour (NO IDEA how much... without the ingredients list I was a bit messed up, I think this should have been vegetable broth with flour).
garlic powder (to taste)

Directions (as I have them saved in a Word Document):
1. To make Filling: Cook potatoes and carrots in large pot of boiling salted water 10 minutes, or until just tender. Drain, and set aside.
2. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu, and cook 5 minutes, or until tofu begins to brown. Stir in 2 Tbs. tamari, 1/4 tsp. granulated garlic, and 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper, and cook until all liquid has evaporated.
3. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add mushrooms, and cook 2 minutes. Add onion, broccoli, and garlic, and sauté 6 to 7 minutes, or until onions begin to soften.
4. Push veggies to side of Dutch oven. Add remaining 1 Tbs. oil to bottom of pot. Stir flour into oil with fork to make roux; stir until smooth. Stir roux into vegetables.
5. Stir broth into vegetables. Once gravy is smooth, add tofu, potatoes, carrots, soymilk, remaining 1/4 cup tamari, and wine. Stir gently, then add thyme, sage, hoisin sauce, Worcestershire sauce, remaining 1/4 tsp. granulated garlic, and remaining 1/8 tsp. cayenne. Remove from heat, and set aside, or transfer vegetables to large casserole dish.
6. To make Crust: Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix together flour, salt, and shortening with fork or pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Stir in up to 4 Tbs. cold water, if necessary, for dough to stick together. Gently knead rosemary and sage into dough, and shape dough into ball. Place dough ball in plastic bag, and push out from center of ball to shape dough to size of Dutch oven or casserole dish. Remove dough from bag, and lay over vegetable filling in Dutch oven or casserole dish. Poke holes in dough to allow steam to escape. Bake 45 minutes, or until Crust is golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.


Ok, these are the adjustments I would make:
-well, number one, have vegetable broth next time
-use the carrots that they suggest (and the tofu. I left this out on purpose because I don't like tofu much but I think the flavor would be more overwhelming anyways and we need to get some protein into this dish)
-add more garlic and onion
-add CHEESE. Noah and I both strongly agreed on this. The flavor was good but cheese would really do this dish justice

Hmm.... I think that's all. I was surprised, but one potato seemed to be enough. Now I have three sitting around (I was guesstimating how many I would need).

Hope you get a chance to try it because I'll keep this on my menu!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...