Day in Photographs: Relay

18 April 2010

My university hosted it's Relay for Life last night! Relay for Life is a nation-wide fundraiser helping researchers find a cure for cancer. People walk all night long to support the event. This year (so far) in America we have raised over 3 billion dollars. Since I lost my mom when I was 18 to brain cancer, this hits home for me as well. There are luminaries set up around the laps and names of loved onces are placed on them either "in honor of" or "in memory of". The lighting ceremony gets me every year and I must say how thankful I am that we do this as a group because you have such a support throughout the night.


Below is a picture of the Survivors' Lap. People who have survived cancer and their caretakers always walk the opening lap.




Again, it's a hard night, but I'm very glad to have people in my life who give me everlasting encouragement and support when I remember.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my Mum to cancer too, but I was in my early 30's. Coincidentally today I was just looking up the registration info for our annual 'Race for Life'.

Good for you taking part in the relay. It helps a bit, doesn't it, in several ways.

Jordanna said...

Alli, I'm so sorry about your mom. What a hard thing. But so special that you take part in this. I'm sure she would be proud :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...