Paprika Cauliflower Pita Pockets!

17 June 2010


I felt motivated all day long to cook again.  It's always enjoyable but now that it's summer I'm cooking for my lonely little self!  I always prefer to cook with or for another person.  Although today I stumbled upon a wonderful vegetarian recipe and immediately headed to the farm market to snatch some of their produce.  While there I saw a vendor selling baked goods so I decided to use her Jumpin' Jack Focaccia bread instead of pita pockets for this recipe.  I like to support the local vendors when I can.

 Of course, I had to go to WalMart to finish of my shopping (the farm market here isn't big enough to have everything I need - aka cauliflower, paprika).  I want to let the world know though, the cauliflower I bought at Walmart was wrapped and when I opened it up in my apartment there were two LIVING bugs on it.  How gross is that?  Just saying, the farm market is where it's at!  Why go to WalMart when you can shop in a wonderful, outdoor atmosphere, support individuals and their green practices, and maybe even buy a wildflower bouquet from a wonderful gentleman playing the fiddle?  It's beyond me. Oh right, Walmart has virtually everything I will ever need in life for a low price. Too bad I'm a poor college student. Haha.

I hope you get a chance to try this recipe out!  I only used 1/3 of the cauliflower tonight for dinner and slightly adjusted the recipe to suit that.  The flavor was perfect. Oh, and I should let you know, it only took me about fifteen minutes.  Who doesn't love a quick, tasty meal?!

Paprika Cauliflower Pita Pockets

What you'll need:

·          1 head cauliflower (2 lb.), cut into bite-size florets
·        3 Tbs. olive oil
·        2 Tbs. sweet Hungarian paprika
·        1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
·        1/2 tsp. fine sea salt
·        1 small red onion, diced (1 cup)
·        1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
·        1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
·        2 Tbs. lemon juice
·        4 pita bread rounds, halved and warmed



1. Steam cauliflower 7 to 9 minutes, or until tender.
2. Heat oil, paprika, pepper, and salt in nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, 2 minutes, or until fragrant, stirring constantly. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 2 minutes more {the picture above is from this step}. Stir in broth and cauliflower, and simmer 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in lemon juice. Serve with pita halves


2 comments:

Emma Jade said...

Yum! That looks so good! May have a go at that later!

Thank you for your fabulous comment, means a lot to know others are in the same situation as me.

Becky said...

This looks delicious! I'm definitely going to try this out ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...