Aspirations

05 January 2011


Ok, I'm always torn about New Years resolutions.  I think it's a great idea to get motivated to make some positive changes in your life but I don't think that a date marked January 1st is the motivation needed.  I always notice when I get back to college in spring semester that the gym is packed. I think we all know why. People made resolutions for New Years to go to the gym more often. Don't worry, after February the determination falls apart and you'll have your gym back.

Wouldn't it be great though if everyone could keep up the motivation they feel on December 31 at 11:59pm? Why can't we?

Most of my friends know that I make lists of goals for myself all the time. That doesn't mean I achieve them all! In fact, I'd say I accomplish about half (I'm being realistic here!).  It's not good to get disappointed over the goals you don't complete, at least you're thinking about them and that's a good start but we all want to stick to them.

{image via weheartit}

I kind of like Cafe Chick's take on it.  She takes part in 101 in 1001 which you may have heard of.  Instead of focusing on goals to maintain throughout the year the idea is sort of to focus on your goals consistently and you have 1001 days to complete them in.  Some goals are difficult to accomplish in one year (like traveling abroad, buy your own home) while others are somewhat smaller (be able to identify at least ten constellations).  Now, 1001 days is a long time (relatively) but I think it's much more realistic for me.

Now, I will ask of you a favor. As I go throughout this time trying to complete these goals, ask questions about them, give any helpful advice you have, tell about your own experience with completing goals & aspirations in your life, and mention a few goals of your own!

One of the best things about starting this blog has been opening up my eyes and heart to people that I've never even met in person. Some people would find that scary, but I've found incredible people across the globe who are inspiring, encouraging, and positive and I say thank you all for that! I'm sure that with some support and reminders from you all this will be much easier to do! 



With that, I'll be putting a new page at the top of this blog linking to my aspirations in the coming days. It'll take me a while to come up with 101 I'm sure but I've got a few that are ready to go.  Again, I'd love to hear about your goals and to get some inspiration from you all!

(ps- I NEED YOUR HELP - There's one goal that Tille from She Waits for Whispers already does that I'd like some help on! I want to take one photo each day to capture those moments in life, aka reasons to smile, but I think I'd do a better job if someone else was doing this too! Is there anyone that would like to help me out on this? At the end of the week you'd just have to email me the pictures you took each day and I would put them side by side to show the photos from each day that week! Click here to see an example of what I'm thinking. Thanks!)

2 comments:

Café Chick said...

Good on you for starting 101 in 1001! I have really enjoyed the project and am already thinking about what I will do once it officially comes to an end. When setting your goals (or deciding on your activities, because they might not all be goals) just go crazy and think about all the things you'd love to do or keep doing and your list will come together really quickly. 1001 days is a lot shorter than you think at the start ...!

Kimbirdy said...

oh i love the 101 in 1001 idea! i totally agree that goals are on-going, ever changing, and take a while to accomplish. i really hate resolutions for a lot of the reasons you listed. however, i did decide to use the new year as an excuse to reorganize the goals i've been working on for a while now. that's actually what my post today is all about. i've also thought about doing a photo a day, just to get better at photography (something i'd love to learn someday). right now i'm a little too swamped with things to join in with you, but i really really want to in the near future. it's such a great idea!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...