Make Someone Else Smile

16 January 2011

I left you with a few links the other day to some sites that could help you see a little more happiness in the world.  Yes and Yes posted about a woman's project called 1000 Paper Cranes.  She hopes to fold 1000 paper cranes (she's on #162 currently) and each has an inspirational word on it's wing to help bring happiness to people who randomly stumble across them.


I think this is a prime example of what we could all be doing. I make lists periodically about my reasons to smile but I think it is just as important to help take care of other people. In fact, I've had my own experience with this.

When we were freshman, I ate with my sister at a dining hall on campus. After talking about courses and our club organizations for a while she reached for a napkin. The napkin underneath had writing on it. We picked it up and looked at it and it was a paragraph about the worth of any person.  Along with an inspirational quote it talked about working through challenges and seeing the bright side of life with people you care about.  I'm pretty sure my sister still has that napkin.

A gesture such as the cranes or the napkin doesn't need to take longer than a single minute of your life but it can mean so much to another person. 

Let's make a goal today. Write a note (post-it, on an origami piece, on a notecard....) and leave it for another, random stranger to find (on a park bench, in a library book, in a napkin holder).  It will take you seconds but to someone it could mean the world. 


Don't believe me? Click here to see just one of the letters a "crane-finder" has sent to Sandy, the creator of the 1000 Crane Mission.  Or, if you want to help on the Crane Mission, check out Sandy's page!

6 comments:

Ashley said...

I love random acts of kindness like this! One of my favorites I read about was to pay the toll for the person behind you and I had read about it years ago... then lately my husband and I were taking a toll road to Missouri and our toll had been paid! It was so touching. Good reminder to do good things. :)

Sandy said...

Thank you for the very lovely write up about my project! :) I'm glad that people are able to take something away from it. It has been proving to be both challenging and rewarding for me as a whole.

PS- I've linked to this entry in my mentions section and to your main blog on my blogroll.

Stacey Sargent said...

That is so cool that she is going to do that with the cranes! I need to be better at doing random acts of kindness for total strangers.

Café Chick said...

Our school did that project several years ago with students making and sending in cranes to make up 1000. It is a beautiful visual representation of concepts about peace.

Ashley said...

love this post!

Haley K said...

"a mission of patience, peace, and papercuts"...i love it! That is a fabulous idea! I wish they had a tiny hidden camera so you could see the people's smiles when they found the crane & read the word :) Thanks for the sweet challenge...I'm going to write a few words on a note and leave it at a store tomorrow while I'm out doing errands :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...