Geology Day!

19 February 2011


Hello friends. Ok, so I wasn't kidding yesterday when I said I'd mention all the geology today. Today consisted of lots of fresh air and a ton of rocks for me. Honestly, it's probably the best field trip I've gone on to date. We had beautiful weather in the valley between the Blue Ridge Mountains and Massanutten Mountain! It got a little windier in the Shenandoah Valley (between the Alleghenies and Massanutten) but there was sunny weather and clear skies all day. 


We stopped at several rock outcrops along the way, took strike and dip measurements with compasses, ate lunch, and made general geology jokes. It was a good time and a total brain dump! There is a lot of information to review after today!


Do you see the folds in the photo above? How cool is that?! The rocks are folding and we can actually see the hinge. It's pretty sweet from a structural standpoint.




We did notice strange, puffy, white clouds at noon and as the day went on we realized it was smoke! Sure enough, when we got back to town the place was in a smog! Well, at least it was a fun day out in at the outcrops. There were forest fires in the Allegheny mountains today.

I hope you have had a wonderful Saturday so far and make sure to enter the giveaway! Forgive all my geology talk but it's a very rock-filled weekend. 

4 comments:

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

Very cool pics lady. Happy Sunday!

Linda said...

Incredible to see the rocks actually folding.

Dawn said...

Do not ming geology talk at all! What a wonderful way to enjoy outside!!! I would be there in a heartbeat if I could find a shovel to get out of my snowdrift.....

rohan's galaxy said...

wow that's the great image of fold i never see like this before

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...