A Million Miles in a Thousand Years

02 March 2011

"I found myself wanting even better stories. And that’s the thing you’ll realize when you organize your life into the structure of story. You’ll get a taste for one story and then want another, and then another, and the stories will build until you’re living a kind of epic of risk and reward, and the whole thing will be molding you into the actual character whose roles you’ve been playing. And once you live a good story, you get a taste for a kind of meaning in life, and you can’t go back to being normal; you can’t go back to meaningless scenes stitched together by the forgettable thread of wasted time. The more practice stories I lived, the more I wanted an epic to climb inside of and see through till its end."


Well, we can count February's book check-list done.

As I said yesterday, this book was suggested through another blog although I can't remember which. I had never heard of Donald Miller although he has another very popular book titled Blue Like Jazz that you may have heard of.

I wasn't sure what I expected going into this book.  I knew it wasn't my normal fiction genre but I knew it was about stories. It was about life as a story. Often times I catch myself looking at life and thinking "I wish I could do that" or I watch a movie and think about how amazing the protagonist's life is. The idea was intriguing to me.

Miller brings you through the realization that you want your life to have meaning. It gives you a sense of hope to know that you trials, your blessings, your conflict, your life can bring meaning to your story and to so many more.

"There is no conflict man can endure that will not produce a blessing. And I smiled. I’m not saying I was happy, but for some reason I smiled. It hurts now, but I’ll love this memory, I thought to myself. And I do."

If you get a chance to read this book by Donald Miller I won't even suggest it to you, I'm telling you to pick it up and read it. You won't regret that decision.

A decent portion of my book is now highlighted and filled with little asides in the form of notes. The way he writes and the words he says.... they'll get you. You'll see in his story, in his life, the same elements you see in your own. Just, after this, you may be willing to weave your life into a little bit better of a story.  Take risks and go on journeys that you might not have otherwise. You won't want life to be comfortable any more, after all, sitting and watching tv does not make for a very good story. 

We all have this life to do with what we will. Let's take it and make a grand story together. 

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Yay! I'm glad you liked it. ...Now I need to find it and add it to my stack!

Erin {pughs' news} said...

Ooh, thank you! This sounds really good. I'm definitely adding it to my must-read list!

bethany said...

I said it before...and I'll say it again: Suuuuuuch a good read!

So glad you loved it!! :)

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

This sounds good, I need to check it out!

Kimbirdy said...

wow, that sounds like an amazing book! i've read blue like jazz and really liked his writing style. sounds like this one should be next.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...