Grad School: The Reality

16 May 2011

Classes have started and, it's official, I'm a grad student. It doesn't feel very different: I'm at the same school, I see a lot of the same classmates, and I even have one professor that I had in undergraduate. So, what changed? 

Well, as my good friend put it, the homework is on steroids.

No lies, I would like to think grad school is like this: 

{via}

But it's turning out to be this:

{via}

To be fair, it's grad school and it's supposed to be harder, but I wasn't sure. I mean grad school = hard. Yet, in my experience, my education courses = easy. I was kind of hoping it'd continue.

The concepts aren't hard but the reading most certainly is. 

I have 13 articles to read already between now and 8:00am on Wednesday morning and write ups to do on them as well. That wouldn't be bad except I have class tomorrow from 8:00-11:00 and then again from 5:00-9:00pm. At least my 1-3:30 class is online on Tuesdays and Thursdays. WOW. It's almost 8pm already and I am about halfway done one article (when I got home I got food and then took a nap until 6:30....). I think it's safe to say that there won't be any more naps and Starbucks will be my best friend.

Yes, I'm procrastinating by doing this post. As a heads up, I may be absent during the next four weeks intermittently but I'll catch up on all your posts on Thursday-Sunday nights promise. Hopefully I'll be able to periodically check in during the week too.

Who knows, maybe I'll one day find the reading enjoyable and be able to be this peaceful while I read. 

{via}

A gal can hope right?

8 comments:

Erin {pughs' news} said...

Oh Alli, I don't envy you one bit! That sounds like an awful lot of work. But you can totally do it! Good luck. And go get yourself an espresso...

Morgan said...

good luck!

The Many Colours of Happiness said...

Oh no, I never guessed it would be like that! That is a lot of reading!! Hopefully it ends up being like the last picture :) Thank god for coffee!! Good luck with it all, I'm sure you'll be great :)

Ashley said...

Good luck! i'm sure you'll do great and at least it goes by faster than your Undergrad, right? I hope you get everything done and get some rest in the meantime. :)

And I got my package, btw. It's awesome, thank you! I love, love, love the soap!

Tracy-Girl @ Then I Got To Thinking said...

That must be so hard... I hate doing reading that I don't have any interest in!! Keep your chin up... you can DO IT! :)

Abby said...

Good luck on grad school! You will be awesome... don't forget to get some rest!

kimbirdy said...

i loved grad school, but i had 3 years between undergrad & grad school to forget what homework was like. after three years drafting documents at a law firm, my enormous psychology readings/papers seemed so fun! it's all relative right? i'm sure it's going to be challenging to adjust right after undergrad {and without a proper break - one week? oy!}, but i'm also sure you'll get into the swing of things soon enough. good luck and here's hoping for lots of starbucks gift cards for every holiday this year! :)

Amanda said...

Good LUCK!!! I am just an undergrad right now and it's so much work! I can't imagine being a grad student.

The only thing I can say is work hard when you have to and then relax when you can. Read some blogs--for some reason that always calms me down. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...