Homemade Falafel

28 June 2011

Over the weekend I had falafel that was exceedingly excellent so I decided to try making some for Noah and myself! I'll be upfront with you: it was a success

In fact, the falafel we made last night may be the best falafel I've had. I used this recipe. I actually hadn't had falafel before my junior year of college. They added mini falafel burgers in one of the dining halls and I thought it was pretty good (especially when compared with veggie burgers on campus - yuck). Around here you don't find many vegetarian foods because we're a heavy agriculture society but I'm glad I got to try this! Without further ado, here's how you make these little suckers!


Start with a can of chickpeas and mash them up in a bowl.


Then put 1/2 cup of parsley, 1 onion, and about 2 cloves of garlic into a blender. Blend until smooth. 


Mix them into the bowl with the chickpeas. 


In a bowl on the side mix the coriander, salt, pepper, egg, cumin, cayenne pepper, lemon juice and baking powder (see clickable link to recipe above for details about amounts). 


Then mix that bunch in with the chickpea mixture as well (or have a handsome guy do it for you).


Add in 1 cup of bread crumbs so that the mixture will stick together if you ball it up.


Put oil in a skillet and heat it up then form patties with the chickpea mixture. Flatten then a little bit then drop them in the oil to fry. It may take a little time to fry all your falafel patties but that crispy edge is perfect!


You now have some delicious falafel to enjoy perhaps with a side of pita bread. The recipe also gives instruction for making a cucumber sauce for dipping which is pretty dang good too!


Warning: It takes a while. At least for our first time it took about an hour with a malfunctioning blender and trying to gather all the ingredients and such. Totally worth it if you're having a nice movie night in though!

7 comments:

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

Yum, looks good!

Torie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Torie said...

What are some comparable tastes? I'd like to try some vegetarian foods to see if I ever could make the switch, but I'm always afraid I'm going to think it's gross because I don't like the texture of most beans. That said, those falafel patties look yummy!

Cheryl said...

Yummmmm!! Take that with some taboui, and hummus, and I am good to go!!!

Erin {pughs' news} said...

The kids and I like to make homemade falafel once in a while. I think this week I'll put them on the menu! Yum...

The Many Colours of Happiness said...

Ooh yum!!! I'll absolutely have to try this

iris said...

I made some baked falafel awhile back. It is so simple and tasty!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...