Northern Virginia, City Living

27 June 2011

This weekend I headed towards some city living as I visited my sister in Sterling. She's staying with her long term boyfriend and his family while she works a summer job in the area before she starts grad school in August. 

{My sister and me outside the World Market}

She invited me out to stay for a weekend so we could catch up on sister time, I could truly meet her boyfriend's parents, and to shop around in the city area. When I arrived on Friday night we sat outside on the porch eating dinner with the parents. The suburbs are so different from the country life I grew up with cutting wood and mowing lawns.... It was relaxing and everyone was very friendly. 

You may know that I have a thing for pugs so while we walked downtown in Leesburg on Saturday we stopped at a dog and cat supply store. You know, one of those quaint little ones that's brightly painted? 

{I wonder if Noah would let me hang up that pug portrait...}

We also went to Tysons Corner for the afternoon. I don't know about where you are from, but in my neck of the woods malls are only one floor and may have ten to fifteen stores in them total. Not this mall.  We're just outside Washington DC at this point and this mall has three stories and a bajillion stores. Yes, bajillion, only a crazy word like that could describe having more than one of the same store in a mall. There were about three Starbucks in there! I've been before but it's been quite a few years.

{the unobtrusive outside}

{Bam! Three floors indoors}

On Sunday, before I left, we drove as a family to Reston to eat at a bright little Mediterranean place to eat. It's called Cafesano and is probably on my top ten lists of favorite places I've ever eaten. The atmosphere was just stunning inside and outside of this cafe with European, light decor on the inside and outside there were bunches of flowers in hanging pots and we were directly beside a beautiful lake. If I'm ever in the area again I must insist upon going back! Of course, I'm sure half my enjoyment was my wonderful company. 

{best bruschetta ever!}

{Helloooo Falafel}

Where I'm from restaurants don't plate food. I mean, it comes on a plate of course but it's not done up all beautifully like this. Did I mention they had a ton of vegetarian options? 

Then we walked down to the lake and small dock. Some girls came over and offered us what was left of their bread to feed to the ducks (how kind is that?). It was a beautiful last meal with my sister for the weekend and I'm so glad I was able to see her!

{My family}

6 comments:

Morgan said...

that food looks AMAZING.

:)
plus sister time rocks.

Cheryl said...

It looks as though you had a deliciously wonderful time!!

Melissa: Write it in Lipstick said...

that pug portrait is so cute. I say get and hang it then as for forgiveness instead of permission ;)

vintch said...

so happy to find your sweet blog:) your weekend sounds like such fun! i've been to tyson's corner once, and let me just tell you...for a girl from a little small southern town, that place was a shopping mecca! have a fabulous day!

Erin {pughs' news} said...

I don't think there's anything so good for the soul as sister-time!

Our little family and my sister's are going on a trip together this summer. We've rented side-by-side cabanas. The kids will play together all day (and go to daycamp!), the husbands will hang out, and my sis and I will while away the hours, reading magazines and laughing and reminiscing and drinking iced tea by the lake. I simply cannot wait!

PS: Those falafels look SO GOOD.

Torie said...

That sounds like such a fun weekend! (And it makes me want some bruschetta!) Just as an update, I'm working on a post about my hometown for your world in a post thing. need to find my camera charger so I can take some pics to go with it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...