It All Ends: Harry Potter Premiere

15 July 2011

It all ends.

Be warned, there are two paragraphs of plain old sappy me before getting to photos from the premiere! 

{Badges. My Hufflepuff one will be awarded a place of honor. Thanks Meredith!}

I did a post yesterday about Harry Potter and what that series has meant to me over the years. Lots of my friends say that this, the final movie, is the official marker for the end of their childhood (remember, they grew up with Harry just like me) but I don't see it that way. In the Wizarding World you're an adult at 17 and I think, while in the States you're an adult at 18, that was much closer to the end of my childhood than now, at 22, with the final installment of the HP movies. 

The final book came out in 2007, right after I graduated from high school and before starting college when I was just 18. That in itself is a sort of mark of the end of childhood. Then, the following summer, in May, while I was still 18, my mom passed away. It's hard to call anything childhood, except the past, after that experience. Instead, rereading the books gave me a whole new perspective. Of course, I wasn't orphaned like Harry, but seeing loss through his eyes was refreshing. It was a reminder that I was not the only person to experience such a loss and many had it so much worse. That's also why I cry every single time I read the chapter with the resurrection stone in the final book (and, apparently, in the movie) when Harry sees the loved ones that he's lost. Harry taught me lessons about morals growing up and about loss as an adult. This movie was not the end but a reminder that the saga and lessons will continue throughout life in relation to this series. 

Without further ado, lets get to the photos from the Harry Potter party and Midnight Premiere!

{Cauldron Cakes made by Katie!}

{Just arrived! Better get on board!}

{Cream Soda & Butterscotch Schnapps} 

{Hogwarts Ladies, Meredith Sizemore}

{Hogwarts Houses, Meredith Sizemore}

{Hufflepuff rules! Proudest moment ever!}

{My friend Meredith made these awesome badges and got house ties from goodwill!}

{Noah came right after work for the premiere}

{McGonagall and Hedwig were there!}

{Hagrid and me}

{Friends in the movie theater}

{Katie and me with the whole Hogwarts crew: Harry Potter, Hagrid, Snape, Dumbledore, Hedwig, Madam Hooch, and Dobby!}

I went with four girlfriends and Noah (the other boys were at camp and had to get up for work at 5am respectively). Usually I'm not a big fan of midnight premieres because it feels like a lot of waiting. However, we were there for two hours this time, got seated right away with five seats together, and there were so many people dressed up that the wait pretty much flew by. The movie, at 2 hours and 10 minutes, was like lightning - over before you knew it! I also think they did the best job on this one. Maybe that's because everything wraps up so I'm biased but they did a better job following the books in this one I think.

We had great Harry Potter themed food and to see more of that deliciousness check out my friend Katie's blog at Laughter Sparks the Soul. She made some awesome Cauldron Cakes, I brought Acid Pops, and there was also fever fudge, dirt cake, and amazing butterbeer that you absolutely MUST try.

Hope you get to see the movie today and, if you're not a big Harry Potter fan, that you can find something in your life to give you the feeling of being connected to people that you've never met through a character, or find something to guide you, or to always seem like home and familiar to you as challenges come your way. 

Have a great Friday! 

Nox.

8 comments:

Erin {pughs' news} said...

Oh Alli, I am so excited to see this tonight! You've inspired me to dress up. Am off to Goodwill this morning to find a Gryffindor tie! (my friend Lindsay is loaning me the Hogwarts cloak she got from HP Wizarding World in Orlando!!!) I know I will cry tonight, and I will leave the theatre happy to have been a part of the magic. Harry Potter will never be over for those of us who will love, and revisit, it always.

xo

Bibi - Simple Summit said...

Hi darling! love your blog banner, it's so beautiful and serene looking :)
thanks for sharing the pictures! It looks like a lot of fun

♥ Bibi

Sarah Nicole said...

This looks like so much fun. I can't wait to see the movie this weekend.

Love your costume.

Ashley said...

I'm so excited to see the movie tomorrow! I never read the books until I entered into adult life and breezed through the last two after Joel was born. I'm really excited to watch the ending unfold outside of my imagination. :) I'm glad to hear how much the books and movie and story met to you in particularly rough stages of life and your party looks super fun.

Mimi said...

reading your post brought tears to my eyes! i loooove harry potter so much, and it's amazing to read about how much it means to you and about what it has helped you through. long live harry potter! :)

<3, Mimi
http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

Eleanor at Mirror Of My World said...

wow that looks AMAZING. i love harry potter. *sigh* xx

Eleanor at Mirror Of My World said...

also. it is so unbelievably special to read about what harry meant to you, after your mom passed away... thank you for sharing this information with us... and sharing your love of this wonderful bookx

Kelly said...

I'll take the lot off that trolley
! You guys are too cute. Love the outfits :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...