Shoes

18 July 2011

{via}

Let me be upfront with you. I am not a shoes kinda gal. I've never liked trying on shoes in the store, I am pigeon-toed (meaning my left foot angles inward when I walk), I have a very high arch - which is the area that hurts excruciatingly right now, and shoes are so dang expensive. 

Problem is, I need to start finding professional/sturdy shoes to wear for when I'm a teacher and will be walking/standing all day long. Today I was working with middle schoolers from 8-3 and I was standing the entire time - minus one fifteen minute bus ride. I wore tennis shoes the entire day and even those weren't good enough. My feet are aching all over.

This has always been a problem and the only way I survived field days in geology was by having an awesome pair of boots (field boots - not pretty boots) to work with all day. In fact, I think they're the only shoes I own that are remotely comfortable.Sneakers are fine for two or three hours but even for the day they hurt.

So, do any of you have suggestions? I might even be willing to pay more than my normal $15-30 for a pair of shoes if they would be truly comfortable and long-lasting. Help a gal out! 

9 comments:

Eleanor at Mirror Of My World said...

hi alli
im also pigeon toed!! ive had an inturned hip from birth, but have learned how to walk so my feet are straightened out more now :).
boots are a good idea i think, my mums a podiatrist though i shall ask what she suggests xx

Sarah Nicole said...

I bought a pair of TOMS last semester while I was student teaching and they are probably one of the most comfortable pairs of shoes I've worn while teaching.

bethany said...

Oh, do I ever hear you on the struggle that is finding comfy shoes! This is weird...but I have the longest toes in the world (okay, that's hyperbole), which means that my feet easily feel pinched and ouchie. I struggled with this when working a 9-5. When it's cute it's rarely comfortable!

But! In the last year I warmed up to Aerosoles and Naturalizer. Granted, their shoes are a little more expensive than normal...but I found them to be pretty dang comfortable. Nicely padded with decent arch support. I wore them all day on campus, back and forth from building to building...even the heels...and didn't feel much pain.

But, I would definitely try them out in person! Everyone is so different!

P.S. Tell Noah that the blogosphere demands he give you an ultra long foot rub tonight.

Alli said...

Some teaching friends on facebook have suggested Danskos. Heard of them?

Miss Michael said...

I second the Naturalizer recommendation. I only own one pair because I have trouble finding them in my size (on the small side), but I'd like to find more because they look reasonably cute--not cutting edge fashionable, but definitely professional--while being comfortable to stand and walk in. Admittedly, I'm not pigeon toed and my arch is pretty average (I think?), but it can't hurt to give them a try.

As Bethany mentioned, they can be a little pricey, but if you find a pair that works for you, look at it as an investment in your career.

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

I am no help, I'm in tennis shoes most of the time for my job =-(

Deidre said...

I'd recommend Danskos, they are made for people who are on their feet all day (nurses and waitresses). They are really super comfy and I've had the same pair for several years and I wear them tons and tons.

because each pair is handmade, try on several in the same size and you'll find difference in arch height and size.

Wow, I sound like a spam bot. But I love my danskos!

Café Chick said...

I also hate shoes - apparently that's unusual for a woman! I have problems with my arches which have been especially painful after reconstrutive surgery on my ankle a number of years ago. Perhaps you need orthotics? It took a few tries to get mine right and I can only wear a particular brand of orthotic-friendly shoes now, but I know what it's like being on your feet all day as a teacher, so maybe that's an option for you.

kimbirdy said...

yes, you definitely need a good pair of shoes for your feet, but there will also be a period of adjustment. your feet will get used to all the standing after a couple weeks. hang in there, and i'd recommend sticking with tennis shoes until a few weeks in to the daily routine. by then your feet will strengthen and you may be fine sticking with the shoes you already have or you may find you have different needs in a new shoe than you do right now. i was a teacher and it took a little while before my feet stopped hurting at the end of every day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...