50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind (Set II)

11 January 2012


{image via}


See Part I here

  1. You’re having lunch with three people you respect and admire.  They all start criticizing a close friend of yours, not knowing she is your friend.  The criticism is distasteful and unjustified.  What do you do? I'd say something. No one could ever say that I'm not opinionated. In fact, I've been in situations similar to this and have said something. If what they're saying is untrue I will let them know. 
  2. If you could offer a newborn child only one piece of advice, what would it be?  Don't be afraid to open yourself up fully to people, just be sure that they're the right people. 
  3. Would you break the law to save a loved one? Save them? Absolutely. Assuming my loved one did nothing wrong and their life was at risk then I feel it would be justified. 
  4. Have you ever seen insanity where you later saw creativity? Actually, no. I think it's more of the foresight.... also, my first impressions have not been wrong yet. First impressions with me are very important. 
  5. What’s something you know you do differently than most people? Life, relationships, college years. This is probably bigger picture than the Question is asking for.... I touched on this in Set I of these questions. 
  6. How come the things that make you happy don’t make everyone happy? Each person is different. I think that our world can only develop and prosper because we each have different interests. If every person liked the same things, jobs people, then we wouldn't be well-rounded as a society. 
  7. What one thing have you not done that you really want to do? What's holding you back? Ok, I'm going to cheat by answering with 2 things.  The first thing I have not yet done is get married to Noah. I want to do this because there's no way to be more sure about a future with someone than I am right now. That's not to say we can't hit rough patches down the road, but we have also been very patient and smart about our relationship. I'm tired of waiting. I'm holding back because once again we feel we have to do the "right thing" which is a semi-traditional wedding, wait til we're out of graduate school, and til we're just another couple of months older... The second thing  that I want to do is move to Britain. Only logistics are holding me back on this one. It's hard to get a job abroad when you don't have experience yet. I don't know the exact steps to take and any American place that could hook me up with a job requires two or three years experience minimum. It may have to wait but I'm afraid we'll settle down if we wait too long.
  8. Are you holding onto something you need to let go of? My mom's death. That was strange. At my very first glance at the question I thought it would take me a long time to answer but then that thought came bubbling to mind within half a second and I was sure. If you don't know, my mom passed away when I was 18, right after my freshman year of college. I still harbor anger, sadness, and hurt over the whole experience and I very rarely let any of it through. I know there's nothing to change it so I try to hide it (and most people I meet never even know) but I am resentful and jealous of people who say such wonderful things about their moms and their families. My mom didn't see me graduate college, get engaged, or decide on a career path. She won't see me graduate with a masters, get married, have children, or any other important steps in life. I'll never be able to be friends with her or call her on the phone. I feel frustrated that no one ever asks me if I'm feeling okay about it but at the same time I don't want them to ask because I'd probably cry. I sometimes feel that I want everyone to acknowledge that it wasn't fair to have her taken away. I know it's all a little overwhelming and conflicting and I never like talking about it. The problems in my life also stem from this. I have no mom to talk to and since she passed my dad and I have been on terms varying from rocky-to-the-extreme to socially cordial. I don't know how to let go of it though because I feel like it impacts every area of my life and all the big moments I will ever experience... just typing this out has made me tear up. This is why I need to let go. 
  9. If you had to move to a state or country besides the one you currently live in, where would you move and why? Hahahaha. What a turn around from the last question. It is my dream to live in the United Kingdom as you may know. I am actually working and researching ways to do achieve this. The history of the nation and the beautiful rolling countryside just captures my heart every time I see it.
  10. Do you push the elevator button more than once?  Do you really believe it makes the elevator faster? I don't push the floor number more than once ever, but I do sometimes push the button to close the doors. I think the first push does make the doors closer faster, the second push is just to be sure the button registered. :)

3 comments:

Erin {pughs' news} said...

You are a good writer, Alli. I can hear your voice as I read your replies to these questions...

Living in the UK is fab. I hope that dream of yours comes true!

Ashley said...

I love the advice to the newborn. :) Good words, indeed!

bethany said...

Such compelling answers, Alli...I loved reading this! I'm with Erin, you're a lovely writer.

I, too, hope you get to live in the UK. Even if it takes some time, I know you would absolutely excel abroad. You're so smart and personable, I can't imagine it won't happen for you someday! (Whoops, double negative.)

Also...totally pinned these questions for date night. They're totally refreshing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...