Keys to a Good Morning

26 January 2012

{image via}

The past three weeks have been fast-paced while working with high school students and my cooperating teacher. Each morning I have about an hour to get ready before heading off to school. Some mornings are tougher than others but occasionally I get a little spurt of energy. Today is my first teacher work day which means I get to go in a half an hour later than normal so I thought I'd share some of the ways I make my morning brighter. 

Step 1: Get at least 8 hours of sleep. This one has been surprisingly easy for me to achieve. By the time I get home in the afternoons I'm so exhausted that I want to fall asleep. In fact, it's hard for me to not take a nap or fall asleep early even when I need to work on lesson plans or assessments!

Step 2: Do what's important before what you want. I need to take a shower, get dressed, dry my hair, make a lunch, and perhaps make coffee or grab breakfast. These actions need to come before reading blogs, editing photos, or perusing twitter or else I'm rushed when 6:55 rolls around and I need to head out the door. 

Step 3: (With time) Do at least one thing that's for you. For me, this is reading some blogs in the morning. I never have time to respond now but just to read what's going on in a friend's life or to see a little inspiration in the morning is such a blessing!

Step 4: Watch the sunrise.  As I drive to work in the morning the sun never quite peaks over our mountains. However, along the interstate the day goes from utter darkness, to blazing pink tracks across the sky, to light pastels. It means a lot to me, after waking up early and driving 40 minutes, to see this glorious phenomenon every day. It is the inspiration in my life each morning. For you, it may not be watching the sunrise but seeing your child smile while eating breakfast, or a kiss from your sweetheart (those are always good too), but find something special that means the world to you and partake in it each and every day.


1 comment:

Erin {pughs' news} said...

Thanks for this post, Alli. I loved it. It really reminded me about the things I need to ensure a morning that is happy and goes smoothly. I'm off to bed now, and hope to have a morning just like the one you've described, with time for me and a beautiful sunrise, too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...