A Song of Ice and Fire

30 January 2012


This past week I finished reading A Dance With Dragons by George R.R. Martin. This is the most recent installment in the series and I waited until I finished the five books that are released before writing a review. 

I would give this series five out of five stars. 

As long as you are okay with little bits of fantasy elements thrown in (knights, lords, a few giants and the like) then you will find your self obsessed with this series. The characters are strong yet have fallacies. One of my favorite things about the series, besides the characters, is the way that the chapters switch points of view. You may read about an event from one point of view and you could learn in the next chapter that the previous character had a biased view about the event. It certainly keeps you guessing about what is truly happening in Westeros. 

I loved the Hunger Games series which is popular right now, but while that was YA, this is truly an adult series. There are scenes that are quite mature and you have to pay close attention in order to infer things about characters and situations. 

For a great summary, check out the highest rated review on Amazon for the first book in the series: A Game of Thrones

This may be my new favorite series (next to Harry Potter of course). If you're looking for a book to read I would highly recommend beginning with A Game of Thrones.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...