Teaching & Thesis

17 February 2012

{teacher alli}

I gave students my assessment yesterday to see how they've progressed through this meteorology unit. I still need to do the math but their scores are certainly higher than on the pre-test which is good news. The bad news is that I caught an incident of cheating while grading the tests that I have to address today. I'm so bummed about it.

For the most part this has been a great experience. I've learned a lot about my kids and I feel a lot more comfortable in my new teacher shoes (only figuratively, I'm still looking for a knockout pair of shoes that are comfortable for standing in for five or six hours).

I'm very good at planning lessons, relating information to the lives of my students, and getting to know my kids. A weakness is still behavior management. Nothing serious, but I need to figure out a way to get my honors kids to stop talking. I think a lot of teaching comes with three things: 1) confidence 2) time and experience and 3) getting joy from working with kids.

It's been crazy around here lately but luckily there's a three day weekend to catch up on my thesis. Student teaching wouldn't be as stressful if I didn't have to do all of this research and write ups on top of it! Oh the life in grad school.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend. Look forward to catching up on all of your blogs tomorrow. It's one of my favorite parts of the weeks (after date nights of course)!


2 comments:

Erin {pughs' news} said...

Enjoy your long weekend, Alli! I know how hard teachers work... you deserve it!

Sarah Nicole said...

I completely understand how you are feeling. I am halfway through my first year of teaching all on my own and my classroom/behavior management still needs a lot of work. I agree that it will come from confidence and experience. I have also learned that being consistent is the best (and hardest, sometimes) thing. Don't give up! You are an amazing teacher.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...