Adult Daze: Scheduling

20 April 2012

{See those pearls?}

Wellsie, this has certainly been an interesting semester. I haven't been under this rigorous of a schedule since I was a junior in high school and went from school all day to tennis practice then to musical rehearsals at nine o'clock. Although this go-around I'm planning the school lessons too.

Hence, the adult daze [days] around here is a new and eye-opening phenomenon for me. As a 22 year old who is about to graduate with a masters, interview for several job positions, get married, and move to a new city, life is getting pretty hectic.

So, each week I want to focus on one area of "adulthood" that Noah and I are working on.  This week, it's scheduling your time and how to use the hours in a day effectively.


I'm no expert at scheduling time, in fact, the reason this is my focus this week is because I am reaching "the crazy" as I like to call it. "The crazy" is when I will fully admit that around 4pm each day I become a grouchy bear. It's as if all the life-giving, positive energy inside of me has been sapped by sixth graders all day and my patience is about two millimeters thick. Consequently, when I arrive home I am not motivated to do work... And you know what? I don't always need to. Here's why.

  1. What is your priority? Mine is sleep. If I don't get enough sleep I am a grouchy bear.
  2. What do you need to get done? If you have a lesson the next day, that is a must. No options.
  3. Accept it. Recognize that a bad streak can't go on forever. Eventually you will get over the hump and things will become easier again. 
  4. Talk to someone. The worst feeling is when you think you are the only one who feels stressed or frustrated with a situation. Talking to others may help you feel better (such as when you realize you're not the only student teacher who loses all patience with people by 4pm).
These thoughts help me work through student teaching. It's stressful, doing a job and not making money, but it is only for a four month period of time. You can make it. 

2 comments:

Morgan said...

i have terrible scheduling skills.
i need to brush up ASAP.
side note: you have the cutest handwriting!

Erin {pughs' news} said...

I think you're doing a great job, Alli. Keep your chin up!

And think about that wonderful wedding... <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...