In the Spirit of Bob Barker

24 May 2013


How many of you have seen The Price is Right? Growing up my family only had five channels on TV so when I was home for the summer I would watch TPiR every week day at eleven in the morning. I also remember a few lunches in high school when TVs were installed in the cafeteria and the teachers played the show during my lunch period for about two weeks. (That was a pretty great time in HS).

One of my favorite things about the show was Bob Barker's sign off, "...and remember: always spay and neuter your pets!".

Lately I feel like I've seen an increase in the number of posts/pictures about puppies and kittens online. Is it just me? Maybe it's just me. Believe me, I love animals as much as the next person, but it is so important to get your animals spayed and neutered. Talk to anyone who works at or volunteers at the SPCA or a local rescue. Sure it's cute to see lots of little fur babies, but they reproduce at an astounding rate (see here for the numbers on cats).

There is a very real over-population problem. There are at least five million stray cats and dogs wandering the streets in the United States (numbers could be as high as ten million. Do what you can to fix it - and yes, this is at an individual level. YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.


Even if you're looking for a certain breed you can find them at rescues. Lots of shelters let you put in a request when you're looking to adopt. If you want a corgi you can let the shelter know and they'll call you when one comes in!


Spay/Neuter your pets.
Educate others about over-population.
Adopt an animal from your local rescue.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...