Photography Goals

04 March 2014


I've been interested in photography for about as long as I can remember. My only issue with making that claim is that I have no intention of becoming a business which is what people seem to think when you say you like photography. Having a camera in my hands is a way for me to relax along with editing photos for hours on my computer.

For some reason, when you say you enjoy kayaking no one assumes that you mean you're a pro athlete kayaker, yet when I say I like photography people think I mean I think I'm so good and I should charge crazy prices to take pictures for people. I think with the current world of social media a few too many people call themselves professionals. There are some AMAZING and TALENTED photographers out there, but it's a business that I think has become saturated with amateurs.

I enjoy photography. I want to get better at it. I want it for me, because I enjoy it.

That being said, I really do want to learn the craft so that my amateur photos can be better. I've been asked to photograph a wedding, which I declined politely three times, yet they convinced me that they really want me to do it. That really bolsters my confidence and also makes me yearn to be better. The wedding is in May, so it's not a very long time to practice and get better, so I better start now.

Here's what I want to work on.
  • Take at least ten photos a day with a DSLR
  • Spend at least three hours a week working on learning about my camera and ways to make photos stand out
  • Download an editing software and learn it
  • Register for a photography workshop
  • Take some couples/engagement shoots for free, for practice
Speaking of photos, can people please attach links at WeHeartIt? Yet again, I found an image I really like with no link. If you know the source, let me know!

2 comments:

Lauren Foster said...

love these photography tips! i'm always looking for ways to improve, too!

Claire said...

ah, I know what you mean, I bought my DSLR a couple of years ago, did an evening 'beginners course' so I knew what all the buttons are for and now I just want to get better and better! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...