50 Questions Part 1 (Round 2)

03 September 2014


A few years ago I filled out my answers to the 50 questions that will free your mind (from the site Practical Tips for Productive Living). It was 2012 when I last answered and I thought I would go ahead an answer these questions again since my thoughts and beliefs have probably changed a bit since then. Plus answering these questions was one of the more insightful introspective activities I have done to date. 

  1. How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are? I'd probably guess between 25 and 30 which means, for the first time ever in my life, that I am the age that I feel I am. I have energy and motivation of a young person but am a bit more grounded by responsibilities in my life.
  2. Which is worse, failing or never trying? Definitely never trying. I used to think failing was, in a way, worse because it could discourage you. Failure can discourage you, but if you don't try then you will never build confidence from success either. It's important to try because you will succeed at more things than you thought possible. 
  3. If life is so short, why do we do so many things we don’t like and like so many things we don’t do? I stand by my old answer for this question. We do a lot of things we don't like because we are higher reasoning creatures than dogs and cats. We have obligations, responsibilities, and commitments to society. If we never stepped up to do something that we don't like then we wouldn't progress. The second part of the question is harder. For many it's a limiting factor of time/money/motivation. I think there are ways around that though. Prioritizing your wants and needs can really carry you a long ways. Get an accountability partner and tell them "We're doing THIS!" and follow through.
  4. When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done? Yes. I firmly believe that I will look back and think I have done the best I could with this life. I think you will always wish you had done just a bit more, but now I'm really trying new things and am pursuing loftier goals. I hope as I continue to grow personally and with age that I will keep trying for higher and harder goals. 
  5. What is the one thing you’d most like to change about the world? I wish things were fair and people were nicer. Or maybe that people were introspective? For the lack of a better example, I wish people gave to others for the SAKE of giving to others. I had a bible study the other night and I mentioned that I don't really believe in heaven any more. Someone asked me what the point of doing good things was then and I was just stunned into silence. For me, the reason for doing good things is just that it's the best you can do for others. If you're doing it for a reward then it's not really doing a good service - it's a selfish act. So, I wish people would be a little more others-centric.
  6. If happiness was the national currency, what kind of work would make you rich? Playing with my dog. Taking pictures. Sitting at the top of a mountain. Singing in my car. I'd have a lot of little side jobs apparently. 
  7. Are you doing what you believe in, or are you settling for what you are doing? A mix of both I guess. Nothing I'm doing goes against my personal values or anything of the sort but I would be volunteering more. I'm hoping to join an organization at SU that does pursue volunteer hours though. Also, at 25, a little of settling for what I'm doing. Since this is my "second career" I feel like I owe it to Noah to stick to it. I like it! I think pharmacy helps people. I'm just worried because I'm four years out and have no guarantee of a residency. So that makes me nervous. 
  8. If the average human life span was 40 years, how would you live your life differently? I'd probably have kids now. I don't know if I even want kids but if I had the pressure of time I'd rather err on the side of yes. I wouldn't pursue a doctorate that takes five years. I think the pressure to have enough money into retirement would disappear quickly - you'd probably just work your whole life. Instead of trying to make a cushy living I'd probably just work any old place and have enough to pay bills but then travel a lot or take a lot of time off work. Maybe a better work-to-life balance? With 80 years or so there's a pressure to work enough when you're younger that you won't struggle when you're older. 
  9. To what degree have you actually controlled the course your life has taken? I've controlled nearly all of it now (such a relief after my answer a few years ago). I made the decision to teach, I made the decision to stop. I decided to pursue a doctorate in another science field. I still have to compromise on things like how I spend my money, adopting an animal, etc. but I don't feel like that is really limiting me. I'd love to just do things on a whim but in a marriage it's a give and take. That is SO much better than the feelings of obligation about school/work/church/relationships. It used to feel like every big thing about my life was controlled and now I really have ownership of a lot of it. That is empowering. 
  10. Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things? Ooh. Both? I am definitely still preoccupied with doing things "right". What would people think if ---? I feel the need for a career and not just a job; it has to be highly respected. Yet I do things that feel right to me too. I'd still say I lean heavier on doing things right at the current moment in time, but I'm always working towards doing the right things. I hope one day I'll only say "doing the right things".

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...