The Scheduled Life

18 August 2015


It's been just over a week since classes started for my second year of graduate school and I realize already that I'm incredibly grateful for a solid group of friends in the program. My study group and I created a study schedule this Saturday (seen above) while going over some of our lectures and I feel suddenly calmer about the mountains of reading and lectures. When you don't have it scheduled out it feels as if you're constantly struggling to keep your head above water: if you're doing work you feel like you never have free time, but if you try to go out and have a social life you feel like there's a dark cloud over your head. By scheduling your hours, even if it means you only have one day a week off, you feel freedom during your time off while still managing your workload. What a difference it makes!

Beyond classes, Noah and I also have a whiteboard calendar, a meal plan board on our fridge, and a gym workout schedule. That blue planner in the picture is my life force at school this year with all of my assignments. All in all, having these intensive schedules really allows me to get my high priorities in. Our social life is top notch with game nights, podcasts, movie marathons, and spontaneous ice cream trips. Our work lives are on par and we are keeping that very balanced. 

The only struggle I have is fitting my creative life into the mix. It's 8am on a Tuesday morning (and my class starts at 10am today) and I'm editing photos, writing a blog post, and editing a podcast that I'll upload to SoundCloud soon. That aspect of my life is not quite as high a priority as school and friends so it tends to fall to the wayside, but I'm not willing to let go of it. My goal is to get at least two blog posts in a week and I'll probably start jumping back onto the prompts. I'll also be sure to share some links to our Wife Advice Podcast on here! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...