The Good Old Days

29 May 2017
















As I was looking through pictures over the past month trying to narrow it down to just about 10 that I would post here I realized... this may be the happiest time of my life. I think about Andy from The Office saying "I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them" and I am sitting here thinking... I might be lucky enough to know it. 

When I was getting my bachelors at JMU I remember thinking that I wanted to be doing so much more with my time. I was happy, but I kept thinking that I might look back and have regrets about not getting even more things in with my friends. 

Now, I don't have regrets about my time at JMU. I was so incredibly happy there for so much of my time. That was such a blessing for me, especially considering the hardships I faced then. 

But now... it has nothing to do with school but everything to do with the people I am surrounded by. As the pictures for this exact post were uploading I realized that I had such a hard time narrowing down what I wanted to showcase; it would be impossible to catch up and share everything that has happened and how wonderful my time has been. And that was only for one month! 

Just this weekend I met up with my friends four times. We had dinner at Sweet Nola's on Friday after our hospital shifts to talk about our weeks and what we learned. Then on Saturday morning we met to get coffee and hunt pokemon. In the evening we went to a Drag Show and hooted and hollered all night. Sunday morning I shared a brunch with family at Regions 117 before rounding out the afternoon and evening with a game night and canoeing. That is just this weekend. 

I'm not sure that I've ever had friends as good as these. People who also don't have a family to define them, people who view friendship as I do, as a bond that makes you family. And as a self-described introverted extrovert, I have a group that fits me so well. I get to recharge with them all the time doing so many different activities. I feel more alive and happier than I have in a long time and I didn't even fully realize it until now. Of course that feeling has been there for a bit but it wasn't until I looked through these photos that I realized this is a time in my life where I am truly, soulfully happy. 

There are events on the horizon that cast a shadow over these days of course. One of my best friends is leaving soon for a residency and I honestly don't know how to handle his departure. And I know in just one year the rest of my friend group will be looking outward and towards new adventures in life. It's the nature of things, but it doesn't make it any easier. 

For now, I'm trying to enjoy these last days while the group is intact and bask in the realization that these are indeed the good old days.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...